Choi Kwang Do is founded in nonviolent self-defense, health, character development and humanity. We want to help each other and anyone else who needs our assistance. Students recite our doctrines and a pledge at the beginning of every class, and living by the Choi Kwang Do principles at all times is considered to be of utmost importance.
Our school motto, Pil Sung, translates as “certain victory,” but not in an aggressive manner, and not always in respect to outside forces. It means we never give in unless it’s the right thing to do, we never give up until we achieve victory, and we never allow our spirit to break. The Pil Sung attitude allows us to overcome any obstacle to achieve our goals.
(Choi Kwang Do Martial) Art InternationalSM (CKDMAI) is an international supportive family system whose primary principle is to affirm each other in our common goal: to live a more productive, healthier, longer life. We want to create compassionate Choi Kwang Do families of individuals around the world and bring those families closer to other Choi Kwang Do families. Because of this goal, once an individual becomes a student at one CKD school, they can train at any other CKD school in the world. And we welcome and encourage all of our students to attend our Choi Kwang Do national and international seminars and festivals.
Principles of Choi Kwang Do
- Humility (Gyum-soan)
- Integrity (Jung-jik)
- Gentleness (On-yu)
- Perseverance (In-nae)
- Self-Control (Guk-kee)
- Unbreakable Spirit (Bool-gool)
- Adult Pledge
- To set positive goals and strive to achieve them
- To apply self-discipline to further my personal development
- To stand for justice and honor my word
- To promote friendly relationships among all people
- To use what I learn in class in a constructive manner
- Children’s Promise
- To always do my best and never give up
- To obey my parents and teachers
- To tell the truth and honor my word
- To always be polite
- To never misuse what I learn in class